I started getting really annoyed with the Intellisense in VS 2010. It doesn’t automatically highlight the best match for what I am typing. It seems to loosely highlight it, but hitting enter or . doesn’t act upon it.
Well, I figured out how to make it work, but requires a small change in workflow. Hit TAB. Start typing, and when the box highlights AROUND, because it doesn’t seem to select it, hit the TAB key.
Easy solution to an annoying feature. I switch between 2008 and 2010 so much I can’t remember if 2010 has always been this way, or I pissed it off.
I have seen a ton of crazy workarounds for handling this seemingly simple task. It turns out that most people change the project targets and other nitty gritty manual edit file changes. It turns out the way I am doing it is much easier.
Visual Studio gets really annoyed when a tool returns anything but zero,and it has good reason. The compiler directives tell it to do that in your project file. So, what the remedy, make every tool return zero…Impossible you say! Nope. Easy.
So, it’s so easy it will probably annoy you. Take your scripts and put all the calls into a batch file. Make the last line of the batch file EXIT 0
Yup Exit 0 <– thats a zero.
Here is the one I use to disable my service when I build, so I don’t get the annoying file in use error.
I have been banging my head on the wall about my Visual Studio just disappearing from view whenever I open one of my WPF forms. As you can imagine, this puts a pretty big cramp in development efforts when you can never use the designer.
I looked in my event viewer and found this error hanging out.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1023
Time: 11:03:02 AM
.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3603 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A2E10D2) (0)
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
The resolution is that it turns out your probably installed Power Commands for Visual Studio 2008. You can uninstall them, which sucks. Or you can apply a really easy patch.
Go to your devenv.exe.config file sitting in your Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9Common7IDE
Add this to the bottom of the dependent assemblies section:
I pulled out some old code to work on a legacy project of mine and lo and behold I get “Error 29 fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘atlrx.h’: No such file or directory”. Not exactly a pretty error and worse, this file was part of the standard ATL includes.
So what the heck happened to my good ole’ friend? Well, the geniuses at Microsoft decided it would be better to sit on CodePlex. So, you can download it from here.
The library is called the ATL Server Library. Just download it, and set your include path in Visual Studio to point to it. Or get creative and copy the files into an existing include path in the program files folder(under the visual studio folder of course.
I upgraded to Windows 7 and I really am enjoying the new interface….but….. I went to compile my ActiveX toolset projects that are all written in C++ and I started getting precompiled header errors.
So I rebuilt and rebuilt and still got the error:
Error 1 fatal error C1859: ‘.Release/HTTP Wizard.pch’ unexpected precompiled header error, simply rerunning the compiler might fix this problem d:SSIC++v3HTTP Wizard v3HTTPAccess.cpp 5 HTTP Wizard
So I rebuilt and rebuilt. No avail. I turned off Precompiled headers and then everything worked fine. What a pain.
It turned out the reason is due to the virtual tables being rebased by Windows 7 for security which totally screws up the precompiled header logic, which requires the headers to be in the same memory locations.