Posts Tagged cassini
You get a nice error that says, “A new guard page for the stack cannot be created”, well easy fix. I could be long winded, but the issue is simply this, you caused a stack overflow.
How you say? Well, check to see if you are using a Server.Transfer that transfers you to a page that then Transfers you back and forth, or even to yourself.
Have login code that checks to see if you are logged in? If not, then it bounces you to a login page. Maybe you put it in a master page. Well, if the login page uses the master page, it will just keep transferring itself to itself and you blow the stack.
Response.Redirect will give you a different error as the browser only jumps a low number of redirects before giving up. Server.Transfer uses the internal stack, so it blows up on the server itself.
I was using the System.Web.Configuration.WebConfiguration class to open the configuration for the site from one of my logic dll’s and I got the wonderful error An error occurred loading a configuration file: Failed to map the path ‘/’.
I freaked out for a second, until I put more thought into it. This is running fine in production! What is the difference with my machine and the server?
Oh! My Visual Studio is running under UAC with limited privileges since I am in Windows 7. DUH!
So, I restarted Visual Studio 2010 under “Run as Administrator” and problem solved. So if you are on Vista or Windows 7, that’s the issue.
NOTE: If you develop with administrative rights, be careful you don’t make development mistakes that assume everyone will run your program as an admin. i.e. writing to program files directory, root directory, etc.
I have been developing on Windows 7 64-bit for a couple of weeks now and really like the Windows 7, but wow have my web applications run slow. I figured I would debug the issue later as maybe it was my data layer running slow. Each time I would execute a page refresh, load, navigate, whatever, it would take 2 seconds. Doesn’t seem like much, but when you click a button on a page 2 seconds is a very long time to watch it hang.
So, after getting sufficiently annoyed and impatient I was able to find that it was my app but was Firefox. Apparently Firefox has some sort of issue with IPv6.
The fix is amazingly simple.
- In the address bar type ‘about:config’
- Filter by ‘v6′
- Disable ipv6 support.
Thanks to Peter Gregory for the help.